Sunday, August 28, 2011

surprise visit...

Nice to try and sleep in this morning especially after having to actually get up early and be somewhere yesterday.  A long day of classroom work followed by 8 people shooting 50 rounds kinda wore me out.  Looked for an easy morning chore and found it by shoveling cow fertilizer for an hour.  That was good enough to satisfy my Sunday work ethic so I headed south for some leisurely laundry.  After I got 2 loads started, I headed over to the Big Bend Motor Inn for some gas where I spotted a familiar vehicle.  Popped inside for lunch and found my buddy Dan Stricklin (in the Field Lab tshirt) and emmy award winning producer Jason Anderson.  Dan was out to TFL over 2 years ago when they shot my segment for Texas Country Reporter.  They were in town shooting a couple of stories this weekend.  They stopped by after lunch to meet Benita and check out the progress.
 








Mexican night at the GrubShack Sunday Supper.  Home in time to check the pond depth while there was still plenty of light.  That's Mr. Floppy waiting for me to leave so he can walk down the face of the dam to get a drink.  Pond level is down to just under 7' deep.  90,101,66,0,B

12 comments:

Duncan said...

Is the level dropping because it leaks, because of evaporation, or usage or a combination of all 3?

John Wells said...

Nothing leaking through the dam so its mostly soaking in plus some evaporation and a little critter drinking.

Larry Prater said...

Beautiful photo of Mr. Floppy.

Zole said...

How long will that last in the pond?

John Wells said...

Been tracking the level since the last rain....goes down about 6" per day.

Al said...

It's leaking but not through the dam. All things considered you done real good but I would consider trying to figure out where water is seeping through the bottom or sides and dump some more bentonite through the water near the most likely spots and letting it stop the leaks. If the rate at which the water level drops slows down at some point, I'd look to the sides which is most likely lot leak. Lateral hydraulic conductivity tends to be higher than vertical.

Al

tffnguy said...

Too bad I had to miss the GS again. I sure like Mexican food. Too bad about the water drop to. Hope you can come up with some way to seal it.

MsBelinda said...

I was wondering what had happened to Mr. Floppy. Why is he being so shy now?

I hope the Grub Shack can open up real soon. It is a travesty what they have done to this hard working couple.

deguello said...

Any idea as to what stories the TCR guys are planning to film?

rj said...

1" a day is normal for evaporative loss.

Allen Hare said...

Will be interested to see the reporting from Texas Country Reporter. There's probably many good stories in the Terlingua/Study Butte area.

Thanks for the update on the pond. Many of us were wondering...

I'm assuming that the Grub Shack is still not officially taking money for the meals it serves. How long can that go on? Is any progress being made to get them back into business legitimately?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.