Saturday, August 29, 2009

Quality Control


Made an easy day of it today...concentrating on checking my welds. Went over truss number 1 up to where I could reach and added some extra metal to the joints. Cleaned up the ends of both trusses and marked and sealed the good welds with some spray primer I had on hand. Thinking I will do this to the next 4 trusses while they are still on the ground. Planning on firing up the Wagner sprayer I've had for about 6 years (never been used) to give 'em all a good coat of paint before I hoist them into place. I reckon by the time I get to the last truss, I will have it all figured out. By then I will so be over building trusses that I will probably never make another. Another skill to file away - just in case I ever need it again...

11 comments:

Ben in Texas said...

You got one of them Wagner electric painters also? We bought one several years ago, tried it out, didn't like it, so it is back in the barn.. Now I know what to bring you when ever I get down that way. :-)

Don Auderer said...

Paint em yellow and they become the golden arches of Terlingua!

Allen Hare said...

Isn't that the way it always goes - you finish a new project with a steep learning curve, acquiring a new skill along the way, and by the time you're an expert, you're done with it!
Painting them white to match the containers will really look sharp.
Way to go!

2L84Me said...

JW
Them ther good lookin lightin rods!
Hint

Gavin Thomas said...

2L84Me, don't give John any ideas, he'll be trying to find ways to harness those rods and store the power away in empty refrigerant containers.

rj said...

I would consider using a rust converter chemical or at least a very good 2 part epoxy primer first then a finish coat.

I have thought about renting a sprayer to finish off exposed PVC pipe on my recent rainwater collection system. Contractor grade tools usually have enough advantage to make it worthwhile.

Still a Wagner in the garage would be nice if it works. I found this decent review of the Wagner "Paint Crew" .

Quite a few contractor blogs mention the "Titan 440i Airless" .

Any experts out there?

Anonymous said...

2L84Me your right..hadn't thought of that. I think you should get a copper rod a little higher than the structure and run it into the ground..I do love a lightning show in the desert though.

Unknown said...

Dr. Doug was so thankful for the solar baked Dr. Doug Loaf that he gave John Wells his own page on his website. Here you will find his now world famous recipe and a video of his solar oven.

Go to

http://www.drdougs.com/JohnWells.html

Unknown said...

By the way John, I never saw a spider like that, but the old adage may apply:

Black on Yellow - Kill a fellow!

J.P. Carter said...

Can you post a pic of your design/plans for the finished product? Want to get an idea of where this is headed. Looks great.

Thanks,
JP & Buddy

Dwight Parker said...

I hope you plan on a heavy load to do this job justice....